Wikimedian, free culture advocate and leader, librarian.
- rockin' the west coast since 2000. rockin' the mid-south before that.
- fond of: coffee, books, internet, open access + open source, information organization, free culture, rainy days, good music, smart people, local fruits and vegetables, finding out new things, and going places
- at last count, I had active user accounts on several dozen public wikis ...
- but am a reluctant static website-updater.
- I blog infrequently about miscellaneous library, Wikipedia and life issues; and microblog on Twitter.
- I am the co-author of How Wikipedia Works, published in 2008 by No Starch Press. It's about how to use, understand and contribute to Wikipedia, the extraordinary free online encyclopedia. I am proud that the book was originally licensed under the GFDL and was re-licensed under CC-BY-SA. You can find the text and more about the authors here (text courtesy of the Internet Archive) and there's an editable version here.
projects & affiliations
- I am an academic reference and collections librarian at the Physical Sciences & Engineering Library at the University of California, Davis, specializing in electrical engineering, physics and computer science
- I am a member of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees; my current term goes from 2013-2015. I also served a term from 2010-2012. My first term I was selected by the chapters; my second, elected by the community. The Board is the governing body for the Wikimedia Foundation, which hosts Wikipedia and her sister projects.
- I was general conference chair for WikiSym 2010, the sixth annual International Symposium on Wikis and Open Collaboration, held in Gdansk Poland with Wikimania. WikiSym is an annual symposium about wiki and collaborative technologies, held in Europe and North America.
- I was the 2011 chair of the Sierra Nevada chapter of the Special Libraries Association, and am still involved in various capacities (especially as web manager). The SLA is an international professional library association; our chapter covers the Sacramento Valley/Western Nevada.
- find me on Wikipedia here
- I've been involved with most of the Wikimania conferences as an organizer, presenter, and bid jury member. And I have attended all of them: 10 years as of London 2014!
- C.V. (as of 2012)
phoebe.ayers at gmail dot com